Home Page

XS Rider Training School
Castleford - 01977 806115
Leeds - 0113 322 6439

How to book
XS Rider Training Home Page
About XS Rider Training Scheme
Course and CBT Prices
Course and CBT Prices
Office & Traingin Ground Locations
Contact Information
Links to External Partners
Frequently Asked Questions

This is a new section, and so the questions are, at present, what we get asked on a regulare basis. If you have a question that you think will be relative to the site, please send it to questions@xsrts.co.uk. We will endeavour to put your question on this page, and answer it.

What does the new two part test consist of?
What are the rules regarding doing a 125 test compared to a direct access (DAS) test?
If I were to do a DAS course, what motorcycle would I do my training on?
What are the requirements to do a Direct Acess cours with XS Rider Training?

What will I need to take with me on the day of my practical test?
How should I prepare for my practical test?

What does the new two part test consist of?

The DSA has now implementeed a two part testing system. Part one must be passed first, and is done under controlled circumstances at suitable testing site. This could be one of the new Multi-purpose Test Centres, or a nominated "casual" site, normally a VOSA site. More details can be found on the DSA website HERE. Basically the clock starts ticking from when you pass your motorcycle theory test. If ;you pass your part one off-road practical test, the certificate you recieve is only valid until the end date of your motorcycle theory pass certificate. If you intend to do your part two practical test, you must complete it by this date, or else you will have to start the whole process again.

What are the rules regarding doing a 125 test compared to a direct access (DAS) test?

These regulations apply now but may change in the future. At present, if you choose to take your practical test on a 125cc motorcycle, capable of reaching 62mph, and pass, you will be able to ride any motorcycle of any cc conforming to present legal requirements (Taxed,Tested (if required) ,Insured etc) BUT IT MUST BE RESTRICTED TO 33 Brake Horse Power. The restriction is achieved by fitting/having fitted an approved restrictor kit which come in several different guises, depending on the motorcycle you are restricting.
After two years have elapsed since passing your 125cc test, you are automatically allowed to then ride any size motorcycle unrestricted. i.e. if you have a restricted bike, after two years from the date of passing your test you can legally remove the restrictor kit. You do not have to send your license away for this change.

If you decide that you wish to ride a motorcycle of any size after passing your test, then you must take the Direct Access motorcycle test. Unfortunately there is an age restriction to this. YOU MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OVER TO DO THE DAS PRACTICAL TEST. After passing this type of test, you are legally entitled to ride a bike of any cc unrestricted, provided that bike conforms to the legal requirements, i.e. Taxed, Tested, Insured etc.(Back to Questions)

If I were to do a DAS course, what motorcycle would I do my training on?

When you are deemed competent on a 125cc motorcycle, by assessment by our instructors, you will do your DAS training, and take your practical test, on a 500cc motorcycle (at present we use Suzuki GS500 motorcycles). You will be accompanied at all times by a trained instructor as you are not allowed to ride un-supervised on a bike of this size. (Back to Questions)

What are the requirements to do a Direct Acess course with XS Rider Training?

DAS is not suitable for all candidates, and we wouldn't recommend a DAS course to just anyone. In order for us to consider you for a DAS course, you must first have satisfied our instructors that you can handle a 125cc motorcycle without any problems. Any control problems must be addressed before attempting to ride a bigger motorcycle as the comsequences of a mistake on a "big bike" could be far more serious than on a 125cc bike. Once you have satisfied us that you can competently handle a 125cc bike then you will be put forward to take an upgrade lesson, where a qualified instructor will explain the differences between the 125cc and 500cc motorcycles other than size (they aren't as obvious as you think!!). You will then do the remainder of your lesson on the 500cc bike, allowing you to get used to the speed and handling of the bigger bike. (Back to Questions)

What will I need to take with me on the day of my practical test?

It is compulsory that you have with you the following and failure to produce WILL result in the termination of your test, without compense:-:

  • Both parts of your Driving License. If you DO NOT have a two part driving license, then you MUST take with you a current passport for photographic identification.
  • A Current DL196 CBT certificate

We also insist that you take your Theory Test Pass certificate. You may or may not be asked to produce it, but if asked, failure to produce could result in the termination of your test fee before you even sit on the motorcycle.

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS!! On the day of your test we will ask you if you have all your documents. If you say you have, but you've forgotten even one of the above documents, and your test is terminated, we cannot be held responsible. (Back to Questions)

How should I prepare for my practical test?

It will become clear that in order to have a good lesson, you should be refreshed, and ready to concentrate on the task in hand. This goes doubly for your practical test. Whether doing a 125cc or a DAS test, you will be under scrutiny by a trained examiner, and should be ready for this. To this end, you should be prepared to get a good nights rest before your test. Don't go down the pub. Don't watch TV till the early hours. Remember you have a lot invested in getting to this stage, and it would be silly to waste the opportunity by not being able to concentrate. You will have a "warm-up" lesson before your test, so listen to your instructor. On the ride over to the test centre, you will be consolidating all the information and skils you have learned in the previous lessons. (Back to Questions)


Website designed & sponsored by Homesave-Yorkshire - Saving you money every day